Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
Type: Artigo de periódico
Title: Cryptolysis Via Coagulation With Co2 Laser For Chronic Caseous Tonsillitis: Conservative Technique And Results
Author: Passos C.Ap.D.C.
Olveira F.M.Z.
Nicola J.H.
Nicola E.M.D.
Abstract: Introduction: Conventional cryptolysis with CO 2 laser has been successfully performed and in this case, a considerable volume of tissue was removed without worrying about likely decrease in immunological function of the tonsils. This paper proposes an alternative cryptolysis method with CO 2 laser for chronic caseous tonsillitis. To this effect, the desired effect is obtained by coagulation with laser and not by the volatilization of the tissues. The preservation of tissues is optimized. Method of study: Clinical prospective. Aim: To present a modified cryptolysis technique with CO 2 laser, which inhibits the caseous deposit and preserves tonsillar parenchyma. Material and Method: The cryptolysis was performed in a group of thirty-one individuals with chronic caseous tonsillitis, with increased elimination of caseous and other associated symptoms. The patients were selected from the ORL HC-UNICAMP outpatient care. We used 6W CO 2 laser in continuous mode, unfocused, and Swiftlase around the opening of the crypts and afterwards over the entire tonsillar surface producing only superficial coagulation. To eradicate the symptoms we performed on average seven applications, repeated every three weeks. Results: The proposed technique was effective in 87% of the cases. For the remaining 13%, it was also necessary to volatize the regions adjacent to the crypts. There was a two-year follow-up without evidence of complications. Conclusion: We concluded that this is a safe and efficient method, able to be performed in the ambulatory under topical anesthesia; therefore, enabling patients to resume their activities immediately.
Citation: Revista Brasileira De Otorrinolaringologia. , v. 68, n. 3, p. 405 - 410, 2002.
Rights: aberto
Date Issue: 2002
Appears in Collections:Unicamp - Artigos e Outros Documentos

Files in This Item:
File Description SizeFormat 
2-s2.0-0036588270.pdf2.75 MBAdobe PDFView/Open

Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.